Penguins re-sign Aston-Reese to 1-year, $1.725M deal
Aston-Reese had filed for arbitration.
The 26-year-old had offseason shoulder surgery last August and made his 2020-21 season debut in February. He went on to post a career-high nine goals in 45 games, while Pittsburgh scored 59% of the goals with Aston-Reese on the ice at five-on-five. His 84 minutes of shorthanded ice time ranked second among all Penguins forwards.
"Zach is a versatile forward that brings energy and edge to our lineup," Penguins general manager Ron Hextall said. "He is a responsible, two-way player, and we're glad we were able to re-sign him."
Aston-Reese has 51 points in 161 NHL games, all with Pittsburgh.
- Crosby hoping Ovechkin reaches Gretzky's goal record: 'It would be awesome'
- Sharks' Kane confident he'll be cleared in gambling investigation
- 'It could've been devastating': Maurice relieved to have stability on defense
- Five years ago, North America's young guns electrified the World Cup
- NHL projects 98% full vaccination rate among players before season