Red Wings sign Marc Staal to 1-year extension
The deal is worth $2 million, according to Sportsnet's Chris Johnston.
The blue-liner collected 10 points while playing all 56 games this past season. Detroit controlled 43.79% of the expected goals while the defensive-minded Staal was on the ice in 2021, according to Natural Stat Trick.
The 2020-21 campaign was the 34-year-old's first with the Red Wings. Detroit acquired him in a trade with the New York Rangers in September.
Staal played his first 13 seasons with New York, which selected him 12th overall in 2005.
- Senators' Murray headed to IR, Pinto to miss 1-2 weeks
- Muzzin laments Leafs' blowout loss to Penguins: 'It's inexcusable'
- Watch: Seattle welcomes Kraken, boos Bettman at home opener
- Report: Devils' Blackwood vaccinated, to be cleared by December
- Perreault's hat trick leads Canadiens to 1st win of season