Devils place Gusev on unconditional waivers for contract termination
Gusev went unclaimed on waivers on April 1, and the Devils were unable to trade his $4.5-million cap hit, Friedman adds.
The 28-year-old will be eligible to sign with any team once he clears and could be a cheap depth scoring option for teams seeking forwards ahead of Monday's trade deadline.
Gusev joined the Devils from the KHL with tremendous hype ahead of last season, delivering 44 points in 66 games in his debut campaign in North America. It's been a different story in 2021, though, as he's managed only five points in 20 contests while averaging over 13 minutes of ice time per night.
- Kane's natural hat trick propels Oilers past Flames for series lead in Game 3
- Flames' Lucic ejected for running Oilers' Smith behind the net
- Rangers' Gallant calls out Hurricanes for 'bullshit' at end of Game 3
- Maple Leafs sign Giordano to 2-year extension with $800K AAV
- Lightning close in on sweep of Panthers with Game 3 victory