Devils place Gusev on unconditional waivers for contract termination
Gusev went unclaimed on waivers on April 1, and the Devils were unable to trade his $4.5-million cap hit, Friedman adds.
The 28-year-old will be eligible to sign with any team once he clears and could be a cheap depth scoring option for teams seeking forwards ahead of Monday's trade deadline.
Gusev joined the Devils from the KHL with tremendous hype ahead of last season, delivering 44 points in 66 games in his debut campaign in North America. It's been a different story in 2021, though, as he's managed only five points in 20 contests while averaging over 13 minutes of ice time per night.
- Marner sets Maple Leafs record with 19-game point streak
- Blues head coach: Binnington's antics have 'got to stop'
- Habs' Edmundson ejected for cross-checking Oilers' Hyman in the head
- McDavid, Draisaitl combine for 8 points as Oilers edge Canadiens
- Bruins pummel Avalanche to improve record to 14-0 at home