Report: Lightning's Johnson goes unclaimed on waivers
Johnson was available to be claimed by any team without surrendering an asset. He has four seasons remaining on his current deal at $5 million per.
The Lightning were reportedly unable to facilitate a deal to one of the seven or eight team's on Johnson's trade list before waiving him, according to TSN's Pierre LeBrun. A deal can still be made at any time.
Tampa Bay is aiming to clear salary as it needs to re-sign restricted free agents Anthony Cirelli, Mikhail Sergachev, and Erik Cernak this offseason.
Johnson, 30, notched 14 goals and 17 assists in 65 games during the regular season, then added four goals and three assists during Tampa Bay's run to the Stanley Cup.
- Dubas: Penguins 'running out of time' as deadline looms
- Kane: Would've been 'tough to say no' if Blackhawks wanted me for life
- Buy, sell, or sit? Choosing deadline directions for fringe playoff teams
- Back Matthews to continue dominance in the desert
- Oilers to best Bruins in battle of powerhouses Wednesday night