Report: Lightning's Johnson goes unclaimed on waivers
Johnson was available to be claimed by any team without surrendering an asset. He has four seasons remaining on his current deal at $5 million per.
The Lightning were reportedly unable to facilitate a deal to one of the seven or eight team's on Johnson's trade list before waiving him, according to TSN's Pierre LeBrun. A deal can still be made at any time.
Tampa Bay is aiming to clear salary as it needs to re-sign restricted free agents Anthony Cirelli, Mikhail Sergachev, and Erik Cernak this offseason.
Johnson, 30, notched 14 goals and 17 assists in 65 games during the regular season, then added four goals and three assists during Tampa Bay's run to the Stanley Cup.
- Carlsson, Ducks beat Avs to snap 8-game skid
- Report: Maple Leafs attempted to acquire Tanev, Zadorov from Flames
- Examining the Penguins' struggling power play, and other unexpected NHL trends
- theScore's 50 favorite moments of 2023: Mahomes, miracles, and a fiery escape
- Forsberg makes 39 saves, Senators shut out Kraken