Report: Toffoli likely headed to open market
Toffoli said in September that his top priority this offseason is to re-sign with Vancouver, but as of now, the club's financial situation appears too tight for the two sides to work out a new deal.
The Canucks have approximately $13.4 million in available cap space this offseason, according to CapFriendly, but they only have five defensemen under contract for next season and need to re-sign star goaltender Jacob Markstrom.
Toffoli joined the Canucks from the Los Angeles Kings prior to February's trade deadline. The 28-year-old winger was an immediate fit in Vancouver's top six, notching 10 points in 10 games prior to the pause and adding four points in seven postseason contests.
- Jets, Appleton avoid arbitration with 3-year deal
- Chair of board of directors for Hockey Canada steps down
- Huberdeau eager to start with Flames: 'I'm going to give everything I have'
- Best of the rest: Top remaining NHL UFAs by position
- Hurricanes GM confident they'll sign Necas: 'It's going to get done'