Capitals move up to draft Hendrix Lapierre 22nd overall
The Washington Capitals drafted forward Hendrix Lapierre with the 22nd overall pick in the 2020 NHL draft.
The Capitals sent the Calgary Flames - who previously traded down with the New York Rangers - the 24th and and 80th selections to make their pick.
Weight: 180 lbs
Club: Chicoutimi Saguenéens (QMJHL)
(Stats source: EliteProspects.com)
The No. 1 overall pick in the 2018 QMJHL draft missed a lot of time in his junior career due to concussion and vertebrae issues, but Lapierre managed to finish the season as the 13th-ranked North American skater despite the injuries. The 18-year-old still possesses an enticing skillset capable of translating to NHL success.
What they're saying
"The Chicoutimi Sagueneen is a savvy, creative, playmaking center who not only puts up points as an offensive catalyst but also plays a solid, committed game all over the ice. Maybe not a huge “wow” factor here, but the scouts who like him said he “plays the game the right way,” TSN's Bob McKenzie said in September.
- Oilers become NHL's 1st unbeaten team through 5 games to start 2021-22
- Stars' Hakanpaa ejected for kneeing Kings' Doughty
- Keefe downplays Ritchie criticism: Matthews, Marner as much to blame
- Jones and Blackhawks in trouble, Kyrou's breakout, and Kraken impressions
- NHL weekend preview: Maple Leafs to best undermanned Penguins