Flames' Lucic suspended 2 games for sucker-punching Sherwood
Calgary Flames forward Milan Lucic has been suspended two games for sucker-punching Columbus Blue Jackets winger Kole Sherwood after the whistle during Saturday's contest, the NHL Department of Player Safety announced on Sunday.
After freezing the puck, Flames goalie David Rittich was poked by Sherwood as the whistle blew. Lucic took exception and sucker-punched the Blue Jackets forward behind the net before falling on top of him.
Lucic received a double-minor for roughing, and he played the rest of the game. Sherwood also returned to finish the contest.
The Flames veteran has been suspended three times and fined five times in his career. Since January 2016, he's been fined once and suspended once for similar incidents of sucker-punching opponents in the face.
Lucic will miss Calgary's games on Sunday against the Washington Capitals and on Tuesday versus the Arizona Coyotes.
- Kane to make Red Wings debut Thursday vs. Sharks
- Promising Stars prospect Logan Stankoven may be small, but all he does is score
- Vezina Trophy Rankings: Hill showing Cup run was no fluke
- NHL hot topics: Debating Leafs' D targets, coaches on hot seat, more
- Leafs' Klingberg to undergo season-ending hip surgery