Report: Smith to sign with Oilers, Talbot with Flames
Smith spent the last two seasons with the Flames and helped the team capture the top seed in the Western Conference in 2018-19 while splitting crease time with netminder David Rittich.
The 37-year-old posted a 48-38-8 record with a 2.68 goals-against average and a .909 save percentage during his tenure with the Flames.
Talbot was traded from the Oilers to the Philadelphia Flyers last February and posted a 3.70 goals-against average in four appearances with the team.
The 31-year-old spent three seasons as the Oilers' starter. With Jon Gillies currently the only Flames netminder under contract, Talbot could find new life in Calgary. He'll likely battle it out for the starting role with Rittich if the restricted free agent re-signs with the Flames.
- Flames' Tanev played through dislocated shoulder, out 4-6 months
- Canada rolls past Czechia, sets up rematch with Finland for gold
- 4 skaters who could tilt Game 6 of Hurricanes-Rangers series
- McDavid and Draisaitl have already authored legendary postseasons
- Why the Leafs should run it back, and how they can improve this offseason