Looking at the wild stats behind Ovechkin's torrid start
In case you haven't heard, Alex Ovechkin has set fire to the NHL to begin his 2017-18 campaign, potting seven goals in two games.
Ovi started with a natural hat-trick Wednesday, then followed up with a four goal performance Saturday night, marking a historic start for one of the most prolific goal scorers in NHL history.
Here's a look at some of the best stats and facts from Ovechkin's blistering start:
He's slowly but surely moving up the all-time ranks, too, with a huge name up next:
- Ovechkin's fired 14 shots on goal so far, earning him a 50 percent success rate through two games.
- After a career-low 16 even strength goals in 2016-17, six of Ovechkin's goals this season have come at five-on-five.
- As of now, Ovechkin is on pace for 287 goals this season. That would indeed be a new league record.
- Linemate Evgeny Kuznetsov has assisted on all seven goals, six of which being primary helpers.
So, what's behind it all?
- Tavares collects 2 points in 1,000th game to help Leafs beat Capitals
- Aho extends goal streak to 4 as Hurricanes hand Bruins 3rd straight loss
- Leafs' Murray out until after All-Star break with ankle injury
- Penguins' Sullivan: 'I've gotta do a better job coaching these guys'
- Bowness calls out Jets after listless loss to Flyers