Stars place Niemi on waivers for buyout purposes
The club placed the veteran netminder on waivers Monday for the purpose of a buyout, the team confirmed.
The news comes after general manager Jim Nill stated on Friday that he planned to get rid of a goaltender this week.
Niemi has one year left remaining on his contract, but with Ben Bishop now in the fold and set to be the club's No. 1, the team needed to make room with Kari Lehtonen also signed through next season at $5.9 million.
The 33-year-old had a miserable season finishing last among all goaltenders with at least 25 games played with a 3.30 GAA and second last with an .892 save percentage.
- Report: Flyers prospect detained for planning to evade military service
- Canucks, Boeser agree to 3-year extension with $6.65M AAV
- Report: Jets finalizing deal to name Bowness head coach
- Canucks organization hires former NHL head coaches Colliton, Yeo
- Lightning sign Paul to 7-year extension with $3.15M AAV