After a first-place finish in Group A, six wins in seven games, and a plus-17 goal differential, the U.S. was eliminated from the World Hockey Championship by Finland on Thursday.
Here's what you need to know after another disappointing exit for the Americans:
Finland 2, USA 0
- Mikko Rantanen and Joonas Kemppainen both scored and Sebastian Aho chipped in an assist in the Finns' neat-and-tidy quarterfinal upset of the U.S. on Thursday.
- Harri Sateri made 26 saves for Finland in the shutout.
- The Americans failed to score a single goal against Finland despite having names like Johnny Gaudreau, Jack Eichel, and Dylan Larkin on its roster.
- Finland advances to the semifinal Saturday and awaits the winner of Sweden-Switzerland.
- In other quarterfinal action Thursday, Russia blanked the Czech Republic 3-0 and will face either the Canadians or Germans in the second semifinal.