Ovechkin honored with golden stick for 1,000th point
Prior to Sunday's matinee against the Los Angeles Kings, the NHL's Jim Gregory presented Ovechkin with a Tiffany crystal, while team owner Ted Leonsis gave the captain a golden stick.
Fans in attendance were also given cutouts of Ovechkin's face.
Ovechkin reached the milestone with a goal against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Jan. 11. Since hitting the mark, the 31-year-old has been on a tear, picking up four goals and 12 points in 11 games.
- Report: Sabres unwilling to retain salary in potential Eichel trade
- Lightning 'praying' Kucherov OK after leaving game with apparent injury
- Vegas' Pacioretty week-to-week with fractured foot
- Three-peat*: The AHL team that sat out a season and returned as champs
- Maple Leafs' Mrazek to miss 2 weeks with groin injury