Report: Saints expected to name Joe Woods new DC
The New Orleans Saints are expected to hire Joe Woods as their new defensive coordinator, sources told Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.
Woods served as the defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns for the last three seasons. The Browns fired him in January.
The Saints will continue to run head coach Dennis Allen's scheme, according to Nick Underhill of NOF Network. Woods will be Allen's top assistant.
The 52-year-old was with Allen in 2014 when Allen was the head coach of the Oakland Raiders.
Woods led a Browns defensive unit that finished 19th in points per game allowed in 2022. Cleveland struggled against the run this season, ranking 25th in rushing yards allowed per game.
The Saints had co-defensive coordinators in 2021, as Kris Richard and Ryan Nielsen shared the position. Richard and the Saints decided to part ways on Feb. 1, while Nielsen took the job as the Atlanta Falcons' defensive coordinator.
Woods was the defensive coordinator of the Denver Broncos from 2017-18. The Broncos finished 22nd in yards per game allowed in Woods' final season with the team.
- Report: Jets add Hardman on 1-year deal
- Report: Russ underwent knee surgery, should be ready for OTAs
- Report: Billionaire Steve Apostolopoulos joins list of Commanders bidders
- Big Ben says 49ers pursued him in 2022: I'm only black and gold
- Ekeler 'relentlessly' seeking long-term deal: 'I'm so underpaid'