Charvarius Ward doesn't respect Hopkins: 'Steroid Boy' overrates himself
"He thinks he a tough guy," Ward said, according to Jacob Hutchinson of KNBR. "He thinks he (is) still one of the best receivers in the league and he (is) really not."
Hopkins finished the game with nine catches for 91 yards. Ward lined up strictly against Hopkins in the second half and held him to just two catches for 14 yards.
"He tried to intimidate us, but forget him, we did our thing," Ward said. "We went out there and got a dub. ... He was just yip-yapping all game, but we don't care about that. We just wanted to win."
Ward racked up 10 tackles and one tackle for loss Monday as the 49ers' defense held the Cardinals to just one touchdown.
The 26-year-old claimed Hopkins was playing dirty throughout the night.
"He tried to clip me, he grabbed me by the throat. He grabbed my facemask on one play, so I don't respect his game," Ward said.
Ward took a shot at the six-game suspension Hopkins received this season for violating the league's performance-enhancing drugs policy.
"That's Steroid Boy," Ward said.
The Cardinals and 49ers will face off again in the teams' season finale Jan. 8.
- Mahomes livid, Reid says flag on negated TD vs. Bills was 'embarrassing'
- Vikings' Jefferson sustains chest injury in return from 7-game absence
- Chargers' Herbert fractures finger on throwing hand in loss to Broncos
- Vikings beat Raiders 3-0 in lowest-scoring NFL game in 16 years
- Stroud in concussion protocol as Texans ravaged by injuries in loss to Jets