Tua active for TNF vs. Bengals
Tagovailoa was originally listed as questionable but said Tuesday he was hoping to play. The signal-caller suffered the injuries in last Sunday's win over the Buffalo Bills.
The 24-year-old admitted the back issue could severely limit him.
"I would say everything," Tagovailoa said when asked how the injury affects him on the field. "Having to twist to hand the ball off, having to toss the ball, having to throw the ball. Every aspect of it."
The quarterback was checked for a concussion after taking a big hit and stumbling back to his feet against Buffalo. He cleared the concussion protocol and returned after only three plays to lead Miami to victory.
He said postgame that the back injury caused his stumble. His quick return was controversial and caused the NFL Players Association to start an investigation into the Dolphins' handling of the concussion check.
The NFL said Wednesday that every indication is that the Dolphins followed the protocol.
Tagovailoa is among the early MVP front-runners after throwing for 925 yards and eight touchdowns against two interceptions during Miami's 3-0 start to the campaign.
- Mahomes to start vs. Bengals despite battling ankle injury
- Falcons hire Saints' Nielsen as defensive coordinator
- Chiefs' Kelce questionable for AFC title game with back injury
- Report: DeMeco Ryans emerging as top HC candidate for Texans
- Schultz: 10 personnel who had a case to be a year-end award finalist