Rhule: Panthers sticking with Newton as starter
Newton was benched for P.J. Walker in the fourth quarter of Sunday's blowout loss to the Miami Dolphins after going 5-for-21 for 92 yards and two interceptions.
However, Rhule confirmed Monday that the 2015 MVP will be under center against the Atlanta Falcons after the team's Week 13 bye.
"I would absolutely anticipate starting Cam Newton," Rhule said, according to David Newton of ESPN.
The head coach added that Walker, who threw for 87 yards and a pick against Miami, could still see the field in the divisional matchup. Rhule said postgame that Walker replaced Newton due to a superior grasp of the team's two-minute offense.
While Newton was sacked just once by the Dolphins, he spent most of the game throwing under duress and was hit often.
"(The) quarterback is only as good as the people around him, but he does have to make those people better," said Rhule, according to team reporter Joe Person.
Carolina is now 0-2 with Newton as its starter and 5-7 overall.
The former No. 1 overall pick put together a far stronger performance in a close loss to the Washington Football Team in Week 11, throwing two touchdowns and rushing for another.
- Texans interview Josh McCown for head coaching vacancy
- Report: Prescott fined $25K for praising fans who threw debris at refs
- Valdes-Scantling doubtful vs. 49ers; Alexander, Bakhtiari questionable
- 49ers hopeful Bosa will be cleared to play vs. Packers
- Best bets to lead the NFL divisional round in passing, rushing, receiving yards