Report: Mayfield likely requires offseason shoulder surgery
Mayfield has been dealing with the injury since Week 2. He said Tuesday he had "no idea" if he would eventually need a procedure, according to Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal.
The quarterback intends to play through his injury, though more damage to the shoulder could threaten that plan, according to Rapoport. The 26-year-old initially didn't need surgery, but the hits he's taken on a weekly basis have reportedly changed that.
Mayfield will miss Thursday Night Football in Week 7 given the quick turnaround from the previous game, but he's expected to return the following contest.
The first overall pick in 2018, Mayfield has thrown for 1,474 yards with six touchdowns and three interceptions over six outings this year. He led the Browns to the playoffs last year, Cleveland's first trip to the postseason since 2002.
- Jones throws 3 passes in Patriots' windy victory over Bills on MNF
- Oregon's Thibodeaux declares for NFL draft, reportedly skipping Alamo Bowl
- Fantasy: Waiver Wire - Week 14
- Chargers' Allen among 11 NFL players placed on COVID-19 list
- Report: Giants' Jones likely to miss 2nd straight game with neck injury