Report: Mayfield likely requires offseason shoulder surgery
Mayfield has been dealing with the injury since Week 2. He said Tuesday he had "no idea" if he would eventually need a procedure, according to Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal.
The quarterback intends to play through his injury, though more damage to the shoulder could threaten that plan, according to Rapoport. The 26-year-old initially didn't need surgery, but the hits he's taken on a weekly basis have reportedly changed that.
Mayfield will miss Thursday Night Football in Week 7 given the quick turnaround from the previous game, but he's expected to return the following contest.
The first overall pick in 2018, Mayfield has thrown for 1,474 yards with six touchdowns and three interceptions over six outings this year. He led the Browns to the playoffs last year, Cleveland's first trip to the postseason since 2002.
- Texans interview Josh McCown for head coaching vacancy
- Report: Prescott fined $25K for praising fans who threw debris at refs
- Valdes-Scantling doubtful vs. 49ers; Alexander, Bakhtiari questionable
- 49ers hopeful Bosa will be cleared to play vs. Packers
- Best bets to lead the NFL divisional round in passing, rushing, receiving yards