"We have to surround our next quarterback with as much talent as possible," Douglas said Tuesday, according to team reporter Ethan Greenberg.
The Jets dealt Darnold to the Carolina Panthers on Monday for three draft picks, moving on from the 2018 third overall pick after three seasons.
Inconsistencies and turnovers marred Darnold's tenure with New York, though the Jets hardly helped the 23-year-old's development. The team allowed top receiver Robby Anderson to walk in free agency a year ago, while the offensive line has been a perennial disaster.
Douglas began adding impact players early this offseason, signing Corey Davis to bolster the receiving core and edge rusher Carl Lawson to aid the defense. He'll look to add to his modest nucleus in the upcoming draft, as the Jets are set to enter the event with 10 picks, including two in both the first and third rounds.
"We do have a lot of assets as we sit here now, but we have to make the most of the opportunity," Douglas said.
Douglas hinted that the Jets will target BYU quarterback Zach Wilson with the No. 2 overall pick, as most analysts project. He also said the decision to move on from Darnold was partially motivated by the fact that Darnold is on track to hit free agency within the next two years.
"We felt, ultimately, at the end of the day, this was an opportunity to hit the reset button financially, so to speak," Douglas said, according to SNY's Ralph Vacchiano.
Douglas plucked a pair of promising talents in his draft debut for the Jets last year, selecting left tackle Mekhi Becton in Round 1 and wide receiver Denzel Mims in Round 2. He took over as New York's general manager in June 2019.