Report: Eagles, Colts discussed Wentz trade
There appears to be an early front-runner in the Carson Wentz sweepstakes.
"I do know that the Eagles have had conversations with the Indianapolis Colts already", Garafolo said. "Here is the thing about the Colts, and this is why they were never strongly in the running for Matthew Stafford: These guys are really good at what they do draft-wise. They believe in themselves. ... So what they do is, they are a little slow playing when it comes to these draft picks and trades."
The New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints, and Carolina Panthers are potential destinations for the disgruntled passer, Garofolo reports.
Philadelphia could have to attach draft compensation to a trade involving Wentz due to his high salary, similar to the deal that sent Jared Goff to the Detroit Lions.
The Eagles will incur a $34-million dead cap hit if they move Wentz, but an agreement would also save the team from paying him an additional $25 million this upcoming season.
Trades can't be formally processed until March 17, though a deal can be agreed to prior to the start of the new league year.
- Report: 49ers' Purdy has UCL tear, hopes to avoid Tommy John surgery
- Chargers name Kellen Moore offensive coordinator
- Report: NFL salary cap jumping to $224.8M in 2023
- Report: Cardinals ask to interview Bengals' Anarumo, Callahan
- Bengals' Pratt expresses remorse for yelling at Ossai: 'I wasn't a great teammate'