"I think there's an appreciation for him after him not being here last year and guys are excited for him to get this thing going," head coach Adam Gase told Pro Football Talk's Michael David Smith on Wednesday.
Tannehill missed the entire 2017 campaign due to a torn ACL suffered before the season. With him on the sidelines, Miami's scoring offense went from the 17th-ranked unit in 2016 to the 28th-ranked unit in 2017.
The 29-year-old threw for 2,995 yards with 19 touchdowns and 12 interceptions across 13 appearances two years ago, completing a career-high 67.1 percent of his passes. A former eighth overall pick, Tannehill hasn't quite lived up to the lofty expectations that accompanied him out of the draft, though he's far from earning the label of bust.
"Expect a guy that's extremely hungry to get back on the field and lead this team," Gase said of Tannehill, who should have minimal - if any - limitations during upcoming offseason team activities.
In his place last season, Jay Cutler tossed for 2,666 yards with 19 touchdowns and 14 interceptions, completing 62 percent of his attempts in 14 contests.
The Dolphins were rumored to be interested in taking a quarterback in the first round of the 2018 draft, but the top four pivots were all off the board by the time Miami went on the clock.