Czechs name Jagr-less World Cup roster
The NHL's fourth all-time leading scorer, Jaromir Jagr, was an obvious omission from the Czech Republic's roster for the World Cup of Hockey, named Wednesday.
The Florida Panthers forward was expected to be left off, but he may still be included when the remaining roster spots are announced no later than June 1 - as could his new Panthers teammate Jiri Hudler.
The team's general manager, former NHLer Martin Rucinsky, explained the decision in a conference call Wednesday.
Jagr has already retired from the Czech national team, notes Sportsnet's Chris Johnston, and has been "coy" regarding his involvement in the World Cup.
Here's the Czech Republic's initial roster for the Sept. 17-Oct. 1 tournament:
F Michael Frolik, Calgary Flames
F Martin Hanzal, Arizona Coyotes
F Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
F David Krejci, Boston Bruins
F Ondrej Palat, Tampa Bay Lightning
F David Pastrnak, Boston Bruins
F Tomas Plekanec, Montreal Canadiens
F Vladimir Sobotka, Avangard Omsk (KHL)
F Jakub Voracek, Philadelphia Flyers
D Radko Gudas, Philadelphia Flyers
D Michal Kempny, Avangard Omsk (KHL)
D Roman Polak, San Jose Sharks
D Andrej Sustr, Tampa Bay Lightning
G Petr Mrazek, Detroit Red Wings
G Michal Neuvirth, Philadelphia Flyers
G Ondrej Pavelec, Winnipeg Jets
- Burrow returns to practice after appendectomy
- Orioles GM confident in playoff chances: 'I think we're gonna' make it
- Reds' India was airlifted to hospital after HBP in Field of Dreams game
- Report: Red Sox plan to restart talks with Bogaerts, Devers after season
- Steelers' Tomlin: 'A lot of good things to build on' in Pickett's debut