VIDEO: Fernandez calls a puck a ball at 1st NHL game
Jose Fernandez knows his way around a baseball field, but he was nervous about his first time on ice.
The Miami Marlins hurler and a few other players from the team were special guests at the BB&T Center in Sunrise, Fla., as the Panthers took on Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins on Monday night.
Fernandez, who hails from Cuba, even had the honor of dropping the ceremonial first puck prior to the contest.
In a revealing interview after puck drop, Fernandez admitted he was attending his first professional hockey game, and initially planned to "drop the ball on the middle of the court."
Fernandez also said he didn't know exactly when to drop the puck (or ball), and didn't release it until Panthers forward Jussi Jokinen and Crosby got irritated with him.
It's been a turbulent offseason for Fernandez, who has been the subject of trade rumors ever since reports surfaced saying he's a bad influence in the clubhouse and had clashed with team management.
- Carlsson, Ducks beat Avs to snap 8-game skid
- Thunder rally after allowing late 30-0 run to thwart Mavs in Doncic's return
- Forsberg makes 39 saves, Senators shut out Kraken
- Strus, Garland each drop 22, Cavaliers hand Pistons 17th straight loss
- Bridges electrifies as Nets snap Magic's record-tying 9-game win streak