VIDEO: Flames' Wideman blasts through linesman on way to bench
It'll be hot water, not a hot beach for Dennis Wideman over the All-Star break after the Calgary Flames defender brazenly plowed through Don Henderson, an unsuspecting linesman who skated into his path, on the way to the bench Wednesday night.
Wideman appears to drop the linesman with intent, but just prior to incident, the Flames defenseman looked to be staggered by a hit from Miikka Salomaki.
Regardless, Wideman should expect a response from the NHL.
Wideman made himself available to media after the game, explaining what he saw.
"I was just trying to get off the ice. I was kind of keeled over and at the last second, I looked up and saw him. I couldn't avoid it," he said. "I don't know where to go or how to get out of the way of him."
"I think I have treated every official with the utmost respect, and I would never intentionally try and hit a linesman, or a (referee)," he added. "It was completely unintentional and I already apologized to him."
- Ortiz joins 2022 HOF class as Bonds, Clemens fall off ballot
- Rodgers says once he retires, he won't make any comeback
- NBA Podcast: Harden to Philly? Plus Bulls injuries and Mavs' defense
- Brown: Bucs offered me $200K to seek mental health treatment
- 'Old Man' Love relishing reserve role with rising Cavaliers