Report: Hurricanes seeking 1st-round pick, prospect for Sekera
The Carolina Hurricanes are hoping to land a substantial return should they choose to deal defenseman Andrej Sekera prior to the March 2 trade deadline.
Just as the Toronto Maple Leafs are searching for a first-round pick and a prospect for Cody Franson, the Hurricanes are looking to acquire the same package for their own pending unrestricted free agent, according to Bob McKenzie of TSN.
The two sides had talked of a potential extension last month, but McKenzie notes those talks were shelved due to Sekera's insistence for a deal with an average annual salary following in the range of $5.5 to $6 million.
Sekera, who has spent the last two seasons in Carolina, has seen a dramatic decline in his offensive production this season after posting a career-high 11 goals and 44 points a season ago. The left-handed shot has two goals and 16 assists in 50 games this season while logging an average of 22:45 minutes.
- Eichel notches goal and 2 assists in his 500th game, Golden Knights beat Canucks
- Report: Orioles contact relievers Hader, Kimbrel, Chapman, Hicks
- Shorthanded Bulls outlast Giannis, Bucks in OT thriller
- Cowboys edge Seahawks in wild TNF contest
- Maeda hopes signing with Tigers will spread Detroit logo's use in Japan