Capitals' Holtby accidentally sets up goal by Devils' Cammalleri
Braden Holtby was doing his best to keep the Washington Capitals even with the New Jersey Devils on Friday, stopping all 23 shots he faced in the first two periods, but perhaps he should have stayed in his crease on a Devils dump-in midway through the third.
Instead, Holtby elected to play the puck behind the net and sent an errant pass directly to New Jersey forward Mike Cammalleri, who made no mistake one-timing it home.
The goal stood as the game-winner as the Devils prevailed 1-0.
- Silas blasts Rockets' defensive effort: 'They're not getting after it'
- Best moments from Super Bowl LVII Opening Night
- Kelce vs. Kelce: Jason knows 'ultimate bragging rights' over Travis on the line
- Mahomes still motivated by Super Bowl LV loss to Bucs
- Clippers surge late, overcome Thomas' career-high 47 to top Nets