Dion Waiters skipping national anthems because of religion
In accordance with his religious beliefs, Cleveland Cavaliers guard Dion Waiters will excuse himself from national anthems going forward.
Waiters, who is rededicating himself to his Muslim faith, told Chris Haynes of Northeast Ohio Media Group that he plans to wait in the locker room and refrain from national anthems going forward.
"It's because of my religion," Waiters said. "That's why I stayed in the locker room."
Waiters did not attend the national anthem during the Cavaliers' game Wednesday against the Utah Jazz.
- 49ers linebacker Dre Greenlaw, Eagles security chief ejected in NFC title game rematch
- James Conner scores twice against his old team, Kenny Pickett hurt as Cardinals beat Steelers
- Makar unavailable vs. Kings with lower-body injury
- Rams' Nacua returns vs. Browns despite injuring ribs
- Report: Padres, Giants, Yankees among teams vying for Korean star Lee