Dreger: Maple Leafs had no Phaneuf trade discussions since deadline; willing to listen to offers
It looks as though the Toronto Maple Leafs aren't necessarily seeking trading partners in order to jettison Dion Phaneuf, but it doesn't mean they won't listen to offers.
Contrary to earlier reports suggesting the Leafs were actively shopping their captain, the team hasn't had any discussions regarding Phaneuf since the trade deadline, but would be willing to listen to teams looking to acquire the veteran defenseman, according to TSN's Darren Dreger.
The 29-year-old three-time All-Star, who signed a seven-year, $49-million contract in December, has seen his offensive production drop drastically during his tenure in Toronto, posting more than 10 goals and 40 points just once in five seasons in The Big Smoke.
- Orioles bash Red Sox, slice AL wild-card deficit
- Lamb's 1-handed TD catch propels Cowboys past Giants
- Judge, stuck at 60, homerless for 6th straight, Jays beat Yankees in 10th
- Elder dominates Nats, 1st Braves rookie to throw shutout since 1990
- Dumba not worried about trade, extension entering contract year