Senators' Dorion working on signing Pinto before camp opens next week
Ottawa Senators general manager Pierre Dorion hopes to ink restricted free-agent forward Shane Pinto to a new deal within the week.
"All the pieces are in place; most of our young core, except for one, is signed," Dorion said Thursday, per Postmedia's Bruce Garrioch. "We're working on that one and we're hoping to see (Pinto) in camp next week."
He isn't the only restricted free agent remaining on Ottawa's books: Winger Egor Sokolov also needs a new contract.
Pinto pitched in with 20 goals - the fourth most in the rookie class - and 35 points in 82 contests during his first full NHL campaign last season, rebounding from a tough 2021-22 season in which he was limited to just five games due to a shoulder injury.
The 22-year-old was named the NHL's Rookie of the Month in October after erupting for six goals in his first eight games of the 2022-23 season.
The Senators selected Pinto in the second round of the 2019 NHL Draft.
- Carlsson, Ducks beat Avs to snap 8-game skid
- Thunder rally after allowing late 30-0 run to thwart Mavs in Doncic's return
- Forsberg makes 39 saves, Senators shut out Kraken
- Strus, Garland each drop 22, Cavaliers hand Pistons 17th straight loss
- Bridges electrifies as Nets snap Magic's record-tying 9-game win streak