Belgium's Martinez: Lukaku out against Canada, Hazard will start
Lukaku, 29, hasn’t appeared in a match since Oct. 29 because of a hamstring injury and hasn’t played 90 minutes since Inter Milan’s Serie A opener against Lecce on Aug. 13.
“We’re very happy the way that he is progressing. He had a very good session yesterday, not with a group, but is progressing in a steady way,” Belgium coach Roberto Martínez said Tuesday. “We haven’t got a timeline.
“I wouldn’t be able to tell if he’s going to be the second game or the third game,” he said. “If I follow the medical advice, at this point it would be the third game. If I follow how the player feels, probably we’ve got a chance for the second game.”
Captain Eden Hazard will start despite seeing diminished playing time at Real Madrid this season. The 31-year-old has made just two starts — in La Liga on Sept. 11 and in the Champions League on Oct. 11.
“It’s been a tough situation in terms of the playing minutes,” Martínez said. “We are a better team when Eden Hazard is in our dressing room, that’s for sure.”
- Pelicans pull away from Kings to secure In-Season Tournament semifinal berth
- Browning steals spotlight as Bengals stun Jaguars with OT win on MNF
- Coyotes hammer Capitals to complete 5-game win streak vs. recent champs
- Brossoit's 42-save effort propels Jets to victory over Hurricanes
- Jaguars' Lawrence exits with reported ankle sprain in OT loss to Bengals