Report: Real Madrid close to signing Monaco's Tchouameni for €80M
Having missed out on one coveted young Frenchman, Real Madrid have quickly turned their attention to another.
The La Liga champions are on the verge of signing AS Monaco midfielder Aurelien Tchouameni in a transfer worth around €80 million, sources told Rodrigo Faez and Julien Laurens of ESPN. The deal is in the latter stages, with the 22-year-old expected to sign a five-year contract at the Santiago Bernabeu, Faez and Laurens add.
Real Madrid faced fierce competition from Liverpool, but the burgeoning French international wants to join the Spanish side.
Real Madrid have recently made a concerted effort to refresh their midfield and ensure a smooth transition from the fundamental yet aging trio of Luka Modric, Toni Kroos, and Casemiro. Upon his expected arrival, Tchouameni will join compatriot Eduardo Camavinga, the 19-year-old whom Madrid signed from Rennes last summer for a reported €40 million.
Federico Valverde, 23, has also grown into a key contributor.
Tchouameni, a defensive midfielder who made 35 Ligue 1 appearances for Monaco this past season, has eight caps for France.
- Turner agrees to 2-year, $60M extension with Pacers
- Twins, fans enjoy Correa jolt as spring training nears
- Burrow unsurprised by consecutive AFC title game appearances: 'Winning is expected'
- Blue Jackets claim Pederson off waivers from Canucks
- Report: Rays, Yandy Diaz closing in on 3-year, $24M extension