Report: PSG trying to hijack Barcelona's deal for Wijnaldum
Bayern Munich also showed interested in the Dutch international, according to Marsden and Llorens.
Wijnaldum seemed destined to reunite with Ronald Koeman at Barcelona. The pair reportedly developed a close relationship during Koeman's tenure as manager of the Netherlands. Koeman spoke highly of the 30-year-old in October, but Barcelona's financial situation prevented a move from materializing in last summer's transfer window.
"Gini has a great sense of space. He can get to the goal fantastically well from midfield," the manager said at the time. "He could really add something to the team."
Wijnaldum is set to leave Liverpool when his contract expires on June 30. He spent five seasons with the Reds, winning the Champions League in 2019 and Premier League the following year.
- Melo 'can't be at peace' without winning title
- Crosby hoping Ovechkin reaches Gretzky's goal record: 'It would be awesome'
- La Russa: Ohtani plunking unintentional, umps 'made a mistake'
- Rodgers: 'We're in big trouble' if we freak out after Week 1 blowout loss
- Higgins changing number after season: I don't want to be 'Ochocinco 2.0'