Bergevin: I didn't know about ex-Blackhawks coach's alleged abuse

Bruce Bennett / Getty Images Sport / Getty

Montreal Canadiens general manager and former Chicago Blackhawks executive Marc Bergevin says he didn't know about the sexual assault allegations made against ex-video coach Bradley Aldrich.

"There was a meeting that I've heard that was done in Chicago," Bergevin said Sunday. "I was not part of any meeting and I was not part of any decision based on that. I was not aware of what was going on at the time, so you can go on the record with that."

On Friday, former Blackhawks associate coach John Torchetti said Chicago's management group met around the time of the Western Conference Final in 2010 to discuss the allegations made by players against Aldrich. He added that the players told skills coach Paul Vincent, who then took it to the team's brass and asked them to contact the police, but they refused.

Bergevin was the Blackhawks director of player personnel that season.

Two former players recently filed lawsuits against the organization.

In May, an unnamed player said Aldrich sexually assaulted him and a teammate. Earlier this month, a former high school player in Michigan also sued the franchise, saying Aldrich did the same to him in 2013 after the Blackhawks wrote the coach a positive reference letter that led to him working at the school.

Chicago won the Stanley Cup in 2010. The team promoted Bergevin to assistant GM in June 2011, and the Canadiens named him GM just less than a year after that.

Comments
Bergevin: I didn't know about ex-Blackhawks coach's alleged abuse
  Got something to say? Leave a comment below!

Daily Newsletter

Get the latest trending sports news daily in your inbox