Report: Bayern star Alaba agrees to join Real Madrid in summer
The versatile Austrian has reached an agreement to join Real Madrid on a free transfer this summer, reports Fabrizio Romano of The Guardian. Alaba will reportedly sign a four-year contract with the Spanish club in the coming weeks.
The 28-year-old, whose Bayern deal expires at the end of the season, was one of the most coveted impending free agents on the market.
The reigning German champions wanted Alaba to remain in Bavaria, but three separate attempts to extend his contract were rebuffed. Liverpool and Paris Saint-Germain were also interested, but Alaba's "dream has always been to play for Real Madrid," according to Romano.
The left-footed star, who can play multiple defensive positions and also operate in midfield, will earn €12 million per season after taxes, Romano noted.
Alaba has won 23 trophies since joining Bayern from Austria Vienna in 2008, including nine Bundesliga titles and two Champions League triumphs.
His move to the Spanish capital is not linked to Sergio Ramos' future, according to Romano; the Real Madrid captain and defensive stalwart is still locked in negotiations over a potential contract extension.
- Calder Trophy Rankings: Order restored as Bedard reclaims top spot
- Saints' Allen mum on Thomas' social media posts: 'We'll keep that in-house'
- Report: Patriots' Stevenson to miss time with high ankle sprain
- Bengals' Taylor: Browning 'lit the world on fire' during standout MNF game
- Report: Blue Jays, Ohtani believed to have met at Florida complex