Cowboys add to secondary with Trevon Diggs in 2nd round
The Dallas Cowboys selected cornerback Trevon Diggs out of Alabama in the second round of the 2020 NFL Draft, No. 51 overall.
Dallas was expected to address its secondary after Byron Jones signed with the Miami Dolphins in free agency. Diggs was even rumored to be a target of new head coach Mike McCarthy's squad in the first round.
Weight: 205 lbs
- Excellent size and length
- Fantastic 2019 campaign: Broke up eight passes while allowing a low completion percentage in coverage
- Tall, physical receivers give him little trouble in man coverage
- Good instincts - deviated from his zone and made plays on the ball several times
- Packs a punch at the line of scrimmage to throw off receivers in press coverage
- Good burst on plays in front of him for a bigger cornerback
- Very good ball skills and tracking ability
- Athleticism and deep speed to recover is below average
- Not very fluid and struggles to change direction
- Allows too much room on release when not pressing
- Missed easy tackles in run defense and after the catch
Diggs is among the most polarizing cornerbacks in the 2020 draft class because he likely won't offer much scheme versatility at the next level. The former Crimson Tide defender is experienced running some different looks, but he could struggle if asked to play in off-man coverage due to his uninspiring speed, athleticism, and fluidity. But when he's in a scheme that plays to his strengths, look out. Diggs possesses excellent ball skills and strength at the line of scrimmage to succeed for teams that run Cover 3/press defenses often, like the Seattle Seahawks and Atlanta Falcons. He's not for everyone, but Diggs is still a high-quality prospect.
- Kelce claps back at Bengals, Cincinnati mayor after AFC title win
- Eagles open as 1-point favorites over Chiefs in Super Bowl LVII
- Chiefs edge Bengals to earn 3rd Super Bowl berth in last 4 years
- Grizzlies rally to beat Pacers behind Morant's triple-double
- Aho extends goal streak to 4 as Hurricanes hand Bruins 3rd straight loss