Ravens select DL Justin Madubuike early in 3rd round
The Baltimore Ravens selected defensive tackle Justin Madubuike out of Texas A&M in the third round of the 2020 NFL Draft, 71st overall.
Baltimore received the pick via trade. The Ravens dealt the 60th and 129th overall selections to the New England Patriots for No. 71 and No. 98 overall.
School: Texas A&M
Weight: 293 lbs
- Intriguing blend of length, explosive athleticism, and lateral quickness
- Productive defender in the SEC
- Consistently wins one-on-one battles - excellent pass-rush win rate
- Powerful upper body to stack and drive linemen into the backfield
- Excellent contact balance and change-of-direction ability to move around blocks
- Good bend and power as a bull-rusher
- Utilizes good pass-rush counters
- Excellent closing speed and ability to finish tackles
- Number of tackles for loss against the run
- Nimble feet and is able to naturally sink hips
- Inconsistent hand placement and timing against the run
- Sometimes late coming off the line when the ball is snapped
- Committed too many penalties over the last two seasons
Madubuike enjoyed a productive career against premier college competition and offers an intriguing blend of athleticism, burst, and power. The second-team All-SEC selection profiles as a three-technique, one-gap defensive tackle who lives in the backfield. There are kinks to work out regarding his snap timing and hands in the run game, but he can immediately impact the pass rush, which is what NFL teams prioritize at the position. For teams that miss out on Brown or Kinlaw early in the first round, Madubuike is an excellent fallback option.