Bengals select Tee Higgins to open Day 2 of NFL draft
The Cincinnati Bengals selected wide receiver Tee Higgins out of Clemson in the second round of the 2020 NFL Draft, 33rd overall.
Higgins will join a Bengals club that drafted quarterback Joe Burrow first overall. Ironically, Higgins' and Burrow's teams squared off in the 2020 College Football Playoff National Championship Game, with the latter's LSU squad prevailing.
Higgins posted 59 receptions for 1,167 yards and 13 touchdowns in his junior season. The Bengals will add him to a receiving corps that features A.J. Green and Tyler Boyd.
Weight: 216 lbs
- Excellent size and frame, can continue to grow
- Covers space immediately with his long strides
- Outstanding catch radius
- Thrives in back-shoulder and timing routes along the sideline
- Uses his impressive frame to box out cornerbacks, adjust to throws, and attack the ball
- Ability to beat press coverage off the line of scrimmage
- Surprisingly elusive after the catch - can break away and create yards after contact
- Stacks defenders well on vertical routes
- Excellent ball tracker
- Poor athletic testing
- Not a crisp route-runner and has below-average change-of-direction skills
- Won't threaten defenses with his speed
- ACC didn't offer consistent top competition
After a productive career at Clemson full of highlight-reel plays, Higgins heads to the pros with truly elite traits but also a few question marks. Standing 6-foot-4, the All-Conference first-team selection doesn't possess game-breaking speed or elite separation ability, but that's not his game. When the ball is in the air, bet on Higgins to make a play. He's a prototypical X receiver with an advanced ability to beat press coverage, box out defenders, and excel on timing routes. Add the fact that he profiles as a legitimate red-zone threat, and it's easy to see where Higgins fits in an NFL offense. His strengths far outshine his weaknesses.
- Oilers down Golden Knights in shootout for 3rd straight win
- Wild snap 7-game skid with win in Hynes' debut behind bench
- Watch: Leafs squeak out shootout victory after Panthers' winner overturned
- Giannis, Dame combine for 65, Bucks earn quarterfinal berth by topping Heat
- Brown scores 30 as Celtics pound Bulls to advance in In-Season Tournament