Fury-Wilder 3 postponed due to coronavirus
Al Bello / Getty Images Sport / Getty

The third bout between heavyweight champion Tyson Fury and rival Deontay Wilder has been postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak, Top Rank chairman Bob Arum told Dan Rafael of ESPN.

The fight had been scheduled for July 18 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Though Arum speculates the fight could take place in October, no official date has been finalized.

"You could not guarantee the fighters that the event would take place on that date. We couldn't convince them or ourselves," Arum said. "Where were they going to train for it? It just made no sense. You just have to take a step back. How are you going to sell tickets? It's absolutely ridiculous to say the fight is on when the Brits can't even get there."

All casinos in Las Vegas have been shut down due to the coronavirus pandemic, and all combat sports have been postponed or canceled by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

The first fight between the two heavyweights went to a split draw in 2018.

Fury won his second fight in February when he knocked Wilder out in the seventh round. Wilder then exercised his contractual right to a rematch, setting up the third contest.

Comments
Fury-Wilder 3 postponed due to coronavirus
  Got something to say? Leave a comment below!
Daily Newsletter
Get the latest trending sports news daily in your inbox