Pettersson out with concussion from Matheson hit
Vancouver Canucks rookie sensation Elias Pettersson is in concussion protocol after he was driven into the boards and slammed to the ice by Florida Panthers defenseman Mike Matheson on Saturday, head coach Travis Green confirmed Monday.
There's no clear timeline on a return, but TSN's Bob McKenzie reports it'll be a minimum of seven-to-10 days as he recovers from his symptoms.
Here's Matheson's hit on Pettersson:
Matheson will have a phone hearing with the NHL's Department of Player Safety on Monday over the hit.
Before the injury, Pettersson had recorded five goals and eight points in the first five games of his NHL career.
- Breaking down the biggest deals from Day 2 of NBA free agency
- Javier makes history with 2nd straight dominant start as Astros rout Angels
- Why the T-Wolves paid out the nose to join the twin-big renaissance
- Cardinals' Arenado records 2nd career cycle in bizarre fashion
- MLB batting average, home runs down through June