NCAA's Power 5 conferences are reportedly considering postponing the upcoming football season, and the nation's top quarterback is railing against such a decision.
"People are at just as much, if not more risk, if we don’t play," Trevor Lawrence said Sunday evening on Twitter. "Players will all be sent home to their own communities where social distancing is highly unlikely and medical care and expenses will be placed on the families if they were to contract (COVID-19)."
"Not to mention the players coming from situations that are not good for them/their future and having to go back to that," the Clemson phenom continued. "Football is a safe haven for so many people. We are more likely to get the virus in everyday life than playing football.
"Having a season also incentivizes players being safe and taking all of the right precautions to try to avoid contracting (COVID-19) because the season/teammates safety is on the line. Without the season, as we've seen already, people will not social distance or wear masks and take the proper precautions."
The 20-year-old junior has been a vocal proponent of going forward with the NCAA football season as scheduled, despite the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. Earlier this week, the star signal-caller said he's "100% committed" to playing, and he's never seriously considered opting out.
Lawrence is entering what may be his final season of college football, as he's projected to be a top pick in next year's NFL draft.