Northwestern upsets No. 20 Michigan State in Big Ten opener
EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Boo Buie scored 20 points and Northwestern beat No. 20 Michigan State 70-63 on Sunday night in the Big Ten opener for both teams.
Chase Audige added 15 points and Ty Berry had 13 for Northwestern (6-3).
Mady Sossoko and A.J. Hoggard each had 12 points for Michigan State (5-3) and Joey Hauser added 10. The Spartans have lost two in a row, falling to Notre Dame earlier in the week.
Hoggard cut Northwestern’s lead to 64-63 with 46 seconds left. After a timeout, Buie scored on a layup with 23 seconds left.
Northwestern took the lead late in the first half on a layup by Buie and never relinquished it, leading by as many as nine points.
The Wildcats went 21 of 24 on free throws, while the Spartans were 9 of 12.
Northwestern beat Michigan State for the second straight time and third in four games.
Northwestern: Hosts Prairie View A&M on Dec. 11.
Michigan State: At Penn State on Wednesday night.
AP college basketball: https://apnews.com/hub/college-basketball and https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-college-basketball-poll and https://twitter.com/AP_Top25
- AP Poll: Purdue remains No. 1 despite loss, Marquette enters top 10
- Syracuse's Boeheim apologizes for claiming multiple ACC schools bought teams
- No. 3 Houston thwarts Temple's bid for 2nd upset
- Dickinson leads Michigan to win over skidding Ohio State
- Mahaney leads No. 18 Saint Mary's past No. 12 Gonzaga in OT