Finch: T-Wolves 'fought extremely hard' to keep McDaniels out of Gobert trade
Wing Jaden McDaniels wasn't part of the trade, however - a decision the Timberwolves say was highly intentional.
"We fought extremely hard to keep Jaden out of the deal," head coach Chris Finch said, according to The Athletic's Jon Krawczynski. "Everybody wants Jaden. We get a lot of phone calls, as you should want a young two-way player with tremendous upside.”
McDaniels moved from prospect to quality rotation piece in 2021-22, his second NBA season. He averaged 9.2 points, 4.2 rebounds, and a combined 1.5 steals and blocks across 70 games, including 31 starts.
Finch said at the start of the offseason that McDaniels would need to have a "breakout year" as the Timberwolves seek to build on their first playoff appearance since 2018. The No. 28 pick in the 2020 draft said he's honored the franchise considers him so valuable.
"That is just speaking on the work that I put in, defensively and offensively, and showing the ceiling that I have and continuing to build on that," McDaniels said. "It's crazy to me, really."
- Report: Lakers weighing multiple trade scenarios after Dec. 15
- Can the 76ers sustain their improved defense when the starting backcourt returns?
- Draymond fined $25K for 'obscene language' to Mavs fan
- Hawks' Collins out at least 2 weeks with ankle sprain
- NBA Power Rankings: Defining stat for each team at the quarter mark