Embiid pays Alvarado's $2K fine after altercation
Both players were fined for receiving technical fouls due to the incident, although Embiid offered to cover Alvarado's $2,000 penalty. The 76ers star said Alvarado's work ethic played a part in his decision to help out the undrafted guard.
"I just like his energy. He plays hard. He competes. Even when he picked up the tech, he wasn't backing down," Embiid said following the 76ers' 105-87 win over the Los Angeles Lakers on Thursday, according to ESPN's Andrew Lopez.
Embiid added: "After the game, I just went up to him and told him to keep fighting and keep it going and obviously, that other part. ... I just felt like the least I can do because I made him pick up a tech and he doesn't make as much as other guys in the league."
Alvarado is earning $462,629 this season on a two-way contract, which pales in comparison to Embiid's $31.6-million salary. The Georgia Tech product said he and Embiid share mutual respect following the skirmish.
"It was all heat of the moment. Nothing personal," Alvarado said of the incident. "It was just two ballplayers going at it."
- Luka keeps faith with Mavs down 3-1: 'I still believe we can win'
- Luka, Mavericks extend West finals with Game 4 win over Warriors
- Jokic, Curry highlight 2021-22 All-NBA Teams
- Report: Teams asking Lakers for 1st-rounder in Westbrook trade talks
- Warriors, Mavs delayed 16 minutes by leaky roof after halftime