Melo: LeBron 'forced me' to join him on Lakers
Anthony spoke about the decision to team up with James on Tuesday's episode of "The Drew Barrymore Show," joking that he was basically forced into it.
"I almost got forced to do it. ... I think LeBron forced me to do it," Anthony said. "He waited till the right time. He waited till we're at the end of our careers and he said, 'The time is now. If you don't do it now, we ain't gonna never do it.'"
He explained that with both of them entering their 19th seasons, it felt like the ideal time to play together.
"Early on, I don't think it would've worked out between us because he was on his path, I was on my path. We had different lanes," Anthony said. "I just think everything happens for a reason and timing is everything."
Anthony, 37, signed a one-year deal with the Lakers in free agency after spending the last two seasons with the Portland Trail Blazers.
- Nuggets' Porter will undergo back surgery, could reportedly miss season
- LeBron's 33 points lead Lakers past Pistons
- NBA Power Rankings: Breaking down red flags and Achilles heels
- Jenkins: Morant avoided serious knee injury, out at least a 'couple of weeks'
- Report: Bucks sign Cousins to 1-year, non-guaranteed deal