Lewis-Spivac main event called off midway through UFC Fight Night card
The UFC Fight Night main event between heavyweights Derrick Lewis and Serghei Spivac was called off midway through the event.
Lewis was pulled from the fight due to a non-COVID-19 illness unrelated to cutting weight. He was briefly hospitalized Saturday with a stomach issue before being cleared and released, Dr. Jeff Davidson of the UFC told MMA Junkie's Mike Bohn and Ken Hathaway.
A three-round clash between light heavyweights Ion Cutelaba and Kennedy Nzechukwu was bumped up to the main event following the cancellation. Nzechukwu defeated Cutelaba via TKO in the second round to close out the card.
Lewis was looking to bounce back after suffering knockout losses to Tai Tuivasa in February and Sergei Pavlovich in July.
Meanwhile, Spivac loses a chance to knock off one of the division's top names after earning the main-event spot with five wins in his last six Octagon appearances.
- Pereira-Adesanya 2, Burns-Masvidal set for UFC 287 in April
- McGregor says he was hit by vehicle while on bicycle: 'I could've been dead'
- UFC inks Frank Mir's daughter, Bella, to 1st-ever NIL deal
- Woman says McGregor assaulted her on yacht; UFC star denies allegations
- Kavanagh 'very, very confident' McGregor fights in 2023