Ferguson-Li welterweight fight added to UFC 279
Tony Ferguson will return to the Octagon at UFC 279 versus Li Jingliang on Sept. 10 in a welterweight bout, UFC president Dana White told Mike Bohn of MMA Junkie.
"El Cucuy" is coming off a knockout loss to Michael Chandler, which marked his fourth straight defeat. All four losses came at lightweight, where Ferguson is the former interim champion.
Ferguson fought at welterweight earlier in his career, and won Season 13 of "The Ultimate Fighter" at 170 pounds in 2011.
The 38-year-old will vie for his first victory since 2019 when he meets Li, the No. 14 welterweight who knocked out Muslim Salikhov in July to get back in the win column.
UFC 279 will take place in Las Vegas, and is set to be headlined by a welterweight fight between Khamzat Chimaev and Nate Diaz.
- Hill hoping for Jon Jones superfight after multiple title defenses
- Volkanovski plans to make Makhachev 'desperate for takedowns' at UFC 284
- Report: UFC finalizing Holloway-Allen main event for April 15 Fight Night
- Jake Paul: Mike Perry will be replacement foe if Tommy Fury pulls out
- Pereira-Adesanya 2, Burns-Masvidal set for UFC 287 in April