Report: Dillashaw-Sterling title fight targeted for UFC 279
The UFC is finalizing a bantamweight title bout between challenger T.J. Dillashaw and champion Aljamain Sterling for UFC 279 on Sept. 10, sources told MMA Junkie's Mike Bohn and Nolan King.
Dillashaw is coming off a grueling win over Cory Sandhagen in July 2021. He underwent knee surgery shortly after the fight. The former champion served a two-year suspension for performance-enhancing drugs before returning versus Sandhagen.
Sterling, meanwhile, defended his belt for the first time in April, earning a split decision over Petr Yan. The 32-year-old won the strap versus Yan a year earlier when the Russian star struck him with an illegal knee and got disqualified.
UFC 279 doesn't have a location yet, though Boston and Atlanta are reportedly candidates to host the card.
- Pimblett accepts Jake Paul's $1M sparring challenge under condition
- USADA: McGregor likely requires 6 months in testing pool before return
- Pacheco stuns undefeated Harrison to take PFL title, $1M prize
- Pereira fought Adesanya with torn ligaments in finger
- Prochazka vacates title; Blachowicz to fight Ankalaev for gold at UFC 282