Oliveira to defend UFC title vs. Gaethje in May
Charles Oliveira will put the UFC lightweight title on the line against Justin Gaethje at UFC 274 on May 7, UFC president Dana White told ESPN's Brett Okamoto on Wednesday.
A location has not been announced for the event. The UFC considered Brazil, but the fight will now likely take place in the United States, according to Okamoto.
Oliveira defeated Dustin Poirier via third-round submission in his first title defense at UFC 269 in December. The Brazilian captured the vacant belt in May 2021 following Khabib Nurmagomedov's retirement.
Gaethje, a former interim lightweight champion, is coming off a unanimous decision victory over Michael Chandler in a "Fight of the Year" candidate last November after falling short to Nurmagomedov in an October 2020 title unification bout.
UFC 274 will also feature a light heavyweight title match between champion Glover Teixeira and Jiri Prochazka.
- Murphy-Tate moving to UFC Long Island due to positive COVID-19 test
- Gamrot edges Tsarukyan in entertaining UFC main event
- Eblen dethrones Mousasi to capture middleweight title at Bellator 282
- Ray submits Pettis at PFL 5 to set up playoff rematch
- Report: Young replacing Budd for PFL 6 main event vs. Harrison