Report: UFC working on Chikadze-Kattar for 1st card of 2022
The UFC is targeting a featherweight battle between Giga Chikadze and Calvin Kattar to headline its first card of 2022 - a Fight Night on Jan. 15, MMA Junkie's John Morgan and Nolan King report.
Chikadze is coming off an impressive TKO victory over Edson Barboza in August. The former kickboxer owns a nine-fight winning streak, with seven taking place inside the Octagon.
Kattar hasn't fought since the first event of 2021 when Max Holloway brutalized him for five rounds. He won his two fights before that against Dan Ige and Jeremy Stephens.
Chikadze called for a fight with Holloway after defeating Barboza, but the division's top-ranked contender instead agreed to take on Yair Rodriguez. Holloway is expected to get a third championship fight with Alexander Volkanovski if he gets past Rodriguez in November.
Chikadze, who earned Performance of the Night bonuses after his last three fights, is ranked eighth among featherweight contenders. Kattar is ranked fifth.
- Anderson stops Bader in 51 seconds, advances to Bellator grand prix final
- Nemkov dominates Anglickas, retains Bellator title by submission
- Dumont upsets Ladd in lackluster UFC main event
- Corey Anderson doesn't miss UFC's 'politics,' says Bellator treats him better
- Ngannou: UFC used interim title fight to 'control the narrative'